Recommended Places to Go
Below are some sites worth surfing. I grouped the links into these topics:
- Debunking Hoaxes
- Miscellaneous Reference Materials
- Organizations of Interest in the Twin Cities
- Quotation Sources
- Saving Lives
Note: I will let you out of my site! When you click a link to a recommended page, it will open in the current browser window. In other words, you'll be leaving White Plume Communications. If you want to return to this site, you'll need to use your Back button or your browser's list of previously visited sites. Better yet, bookmark this page before you go so you can always find your way back!
Re: Debunking Hoaxes
Because you should always verify whether or not that email or internet meme is true before you forward or share it...
- Snopes.com: A fabulous reference of hoaxes and urban legends.
- Symantec Corporation's Threat Explorer: This link accesses Symantec's list of hoaxes. From it, you can also reach information about real threats to computer security.
Re: Miscellaneous Reference Materials
Because many questions can be answered, and there's always more to know...
- Acronym Finder: Find the meaning behind the "alphabet soup" of acronyms and initials
- Khan Academy: Thousands of video lessons on math, science, and other topics
- National Weather Service: Find out if this is the calm before the storm, or vice versa
- Project Gutenberg: More than 40,000 free ebooks
- TED: So many "ideas worth spreading"
- U.S. Census Bureau: Get our nation's numbers directly from the source
- U.S. Info Pages: Free PDFs and/or inexpensive brochures on a multitude of topics
- U.S. Official Time: You can set your watch by it (for those who still wear a watch)
- WhatIs.com: Learn how to speak geek at the "leading IT encyclopedia and learning center"
- YourDictionary.com: In case you don't have a dictionary handy
Re: Organizations of Interest in the Twin Cities
Because learning and networking never stop...
- ATD: Association for Talent Development
- DLF: Digital Learning Forum
- MNISPI: MN chapter, International Society for Performance Improvement
- PACT: Professional Association of Computer Trainers
- PEN: Professional Editors Network
- SMB: Social Media Breakfast
- STC: Society for Technical Communication
Re: Quotation Sources
Because, sometimes, someone else has already said it better...
Re: Saving Lives
Because YOU can be a hero...
- CPR - Twin Cities: This excellent instructor can bring CPR, AED and first-aid classes to your office or home in the Twin Cities area.
- Memorial Blood Centers: Donate blood in the Minnesota region
- American Red Cross: Donate blood throughout the U.S. Or donate money to support disaster relief.
Because "users" are actually people...
- Usability Basics: Just what the title implies, this is a simple guide to developing "usable and useful websites."
- Don Norman/jnd.org: Back in 1990, I read Norman's book, "The Design of Everyday Things," and it changed the way I look at everything. This premiere usability guru is still analyzing why things work well—or work like hell.